What you Need to Know
HOW TO GET HERE
Approximate travel times to Kinnikinnick Farm: 21123 Grade School Rd., Caledonia, IL 61011 *2014 update: The construction projects on I-90 can cause significant delays in travelling from Chicago. Please check with IDOT for most updated lane closures and road work.
- From Chicago (approximately 1 hr, 45 min): Take I-90 north.
- From Madison (approximately 1 hr, 10 min) Take I-90 south.
- From Milwaukee (approximately 1 hr, 20 min) Take I-43 southwest to I-90. Take I-90 south.
Here’s a link to a GOOGLE MAP. You can also email us for written instructions if you desire.
WHEN YOU ARRIVE
CHECK IN TIME: Standard check in time midweek between 2pm and 6pm, Friday is between 4pm and 7pm.
PARKING: 400 yards ahead on the left side of the gravel driveway.
FINDING YOUR TENT: Locate the Welcome kiosk, where you will find a personal reservation packet with a map of the property directing you to your tent. Carts are available for transporting your luggage to the tent.
THE FEATHER DOWN TENT
LINENS: Your beds will be made with European style linens
HEAT & COOKING: The tent is stocked with enough wood and kindling and we will help you with instructions on starting the fire in the tent’s wood stove. The kitchen is stocked with pots, pans, and table ware for cooking and eating all meals. Each tent also has an outdoor wood fired cooker for your use.
FOOD STORAGE: Each tent has an insulated cool chest for storing perishables. You can retrieve ice packs as needed throughout your stay from the Farm Larder.
DRINKING WATER: A dispenser crock with drinking water is located in each tent, and extra bottles are available as needed. There is no need to bring bottled water.
TOILETS & SHOWERS: There are hot showers and flush toilets in the bathhouse, and a cold water pump in the tent.
FOOD, MEALS & THE FARM LARDER Enjoying meals prepared with produce and meats raised on our farm and from local sources is central to the Feather Down experience at Kinnikinnick Farm. We provide a tally sheet for tracking your purchases and you settle up with us at checkout. Click over to the Farm Larder page on this site for more information.
BREAKFAST & LUNCH: The leisurely preparation and enjoyment of a farm breakfast is a memorable experience for the entire family. Grinding coffee, starting the fire, mixing pancake batter, frying bacon, etc. Locally raised meats, our own farm raised eggs, seasonal salad greens and vegetables, and additional products from other local food artisans we know. Check our website for the updated list of provisions available in the shop.
DINNER: We offer a list of arrival meals for your first night. Please review the order form on our Farm Larder page. Every Saturday night and from the middle of June through Labor Day also on Wednesday night, we offer build your own pizza from our outdoor wood fired oven. Pricing and more details can be found on the order form.
ESSENTIALS AND SUPPLIES: We also have on hand for purchase necessities like toothpaste, matches, kindling packs, candles, soap, bug candles, and sunscreen.
OUR GENERAL POLICIES
PETS - Please make arrangements to leave your pets at home.
GUESTS - A limited number of guests or day visitors—one or two per tent—are welcome. Please tell us who is coming in advance if possible, or at the very latest when you check in.
SMOKING – the tents and all livestock and vegetable growing and preparation areas – including all barns – are smoke free zones.
CHECK OUT: 12 noon. We accept cash, check, and major credit cards to pay for any items you purchase while on the farm, and all pre-ordered meal options.
SUGGESTED PACK LIST:
- Hat & Sunscreen (Mid-summer sun can get intense on the farm. Protect yourself)
- Preferred Insect repellent
- Waterproof boots (For early morning dew on the grass, tromping in the fields, investigating the animal pens and paddocks)
- Rain gear (in case we get a summer thunderstorm)
- Umbrella (ditto)
- Slippers or Flip-Flops (For wearing in the tent. Helps keep your tent floor clean)
- Blankets (In addition to the comforters provided on each bed, we have only a limited supply of extra blankets). Important for May-June and Sept-Oct bookings.
- Insulated cooler (For carrying home farm produce and eggs)
- Beverages: we have a good selection of local juices and sodas in the Farm Larder, but plan to pack any adult beverages you might want.
We encourage you to contact us directly with an email or a phone call with any further questions or special requests for your stay -email@example.com or call (815) 292-3288.